Perfectly moist and crispy succulent lamb souvlaki / suvlaki skewers! Get the fire started.. it’s barbecue time this weekend with this amazing Greek lamb souvlaki recipe! Souvlaki is one of the most popular street foods in Greece and for good reason! Juicy and well seasoned meat garnished with cooling tzatziki sauce, served or wrapped in a delicious crispy and fluffy pita.. Well, one couldn’t ask for more!
I absolutely ADORE Greek food & this was mouth-watering! Makes a perfect Saturday Night Fake-Away.
The most important step in making the perfect, traditional Greek lamb souvlaki (suflaki) is nothing else but the marinade! For this traditional lamb souvlaki recipe, the meat is first marinated to soak up all the wonderful Mediterranean flavours and then grilled, to get all crunchy, nicely coloured and juicy.
Marinading your lamb souvlaki in the fridge for at least 4 hours will allow the aromas to infuse the meat and give it the desired flavours.
Of course the best option is to grill the lamb souvlaki (skewers) on a char-coal barbecue, to get them all crispy and smokey. However they also work great on a grill pan or in the oven, if you don’t have the time or space for a proper barbecue. Cooking time varies greatly, mostly depending on how well done you like your meat. Most Greeks are not big fans of medium-rare, hence most tavernas offer the lamb souvlaki well done.
If you wanted to make your own Tzatziki Sauce you can grab the recipe HERE.
This really is such a simple recipe to follow & super quick! With just 10 minutes preparation time & anywhere between 10-15 minutes cooking time.
Ingredients- Serves 8 Skewers (4-5 people)
- 1kg Lamb Leg or Shoulder, cut into chunks
- 5-6 Tbsps Olive Oil
- 2x Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1x Lemon, juiced
- 2x Red Onions, roughly chopped
- 1x Tsp Dried Greek Oregano
- 1x Tsp Dried/Fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked Sweet Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin (optional)
- Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 8 Metal or Wooden Skewers. (If using wooden make sure you soak them in water about half an hour beforehand, this stops them from burning.)
- Tzatziki Sauce, either shop brought or homemade.
- Wholemeal Pitta Breads
- Salad bits of your choice to put with the Kebabs.
- To prepare this Greek lamb souvlaki recipe, cut the meat into equal sized (3 cm) chunks and set aside.
- Prepare the marinade for the lamb souvlaki. In a large bowl add the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, the herbs and spices and season with freshly ground pepper – don’t add salt yet. Whisk all the ingredients to combine. Add the meat and the chopped onions and blend to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, chill and let marinade for at least 4 hours. It’s best to leave the meat for the lamb souvlaki marinade overnight, to soak up all the wonderful flavours. (If you are at home blend the marinade once in a while).
- To assemble the lamb souvlaki (skewers), you can either use wooden or metal skewers. For this lamb souvlaki recipe, you will need about 10 skewers, depending on the size of each lamb souvlaki. If using wooden skewers, cut them to fit your griddle pan and soak them in water. (This will prevent them from burning.) Lift the chunks of lamb out of the marinade and thread the pieces, comfortably, on the skewers. At this point don’t forget to season your lamb souvlaki with salt.
- Heat a grill, barbecue or griddle pan and cook the lamb souvlaki for about 10-15 minutes, until cooked to your liking.
- While your lamb souvlaki is cooking, prepare the pita breads. Preheat the oven to 250C. Use a cooking brush to lightly oil the pita breads on both sides and season with salt and oregano. Place a large oven tray at the bottom of the oven and place the pita breads on top of the tray. Bake for 2-3 minutes. (Alternatively barbecue the pita breads, until nicely coloured on both sides).
- Enjoy with a salad of your choice.