Wednesday, 10 May 2017

Mental Health Awareness Week 2017

 

This week is World Mental Health Awareness Week which started Monday 8th May- Sunday 14th May 2017. 

For those of you that have been following my blog you will already know that I've had an on going battle with Depression & Anxiety. For those of you who have just started reading you can find my stories here here.

 For anyone who has dealt with depression has endured the agonizing loneliness that goes along with it. There are no easy solutions to these feelings because having someone there doesn’t wash away the emptiness we feel inside. We feel utterly and despairingly alone in the world.

Depression magnifies all of our negative feelings, exaggerating all of our faults. Depression makes us feel like we’re broken and damaged beyond repair. We know all our flaws because they stand out to us like beacons, reminding us of all that is inherently wrong about ourselves. We are our own worst critics and are skilled at tearing ourselves apart. We feel like a mistake, like there is no place in the world where we belong. We feel like nobody understands how we feel inside. We feel completely alone. 

But please just remember you are not on your own! 

 

I’ve done everything in my power to fight my depression and anxiety. I’ve been particularly fortunate to grow up in a house where getting help was not only OK, it was encouraged. During my worst episode of depression, I was prescribed antidepressants, which also help manage my anxiety. Although I originally felt like taking antidepressants was sort of like admitting defeat, they helped me get to a place where I could help myself again.

 

I wasn't the reason why I fell ill, I know that now & I certainly didn't ask for it, no-one does. It's an illness. End of. We need to break the stigma of Mental Health so that others out there will have the courage to ask for the help that they need & deserve. 

If you are reading this because you struggle with depression or anxiety, then know there is no "normal.” There is no “right” way to cope, fight or heal. What’s important is you fight back however you can. Helping yourself can mean talking to your doctor about getting a prescription or just treating yourself to something for you. You don’t have to be struggling to survive before you reach out for help.

 


Fighting anxiety and depression has been an uphill battle. I like to think I’m winning.

You can too!